Saturday, July 24, 2010

the weekend beet: Newport, Rhode Island


After being gone from New York for almost exactly a month, I pretty much threw myself back into catching up with my group of girlfriends.  This Newport beach trip had been in my calendar for months, and I’m glad that I arrived back in time to go on.  Strangely, I have this feeling these girls’ weekends will be less frequent now as almost all my close girlfriends of that group are happily engaged or soon to be.

I don’t really ever remember being to a small New England town, so I didn’t really know what to expect.   Luckily enough, I was able to get a seat in my friend’s car for the 3-ish hour drive.   We arrived at Easton’s beach to find the other half of our group, a crowded dark sand beach, impressive mansions perched high up on a cliff, and a strange red tide (apparently, this red seaweed filled water is native to Newport)

I found Newport to be a very cute town, but it also made me glad for the diversity that New York has to offer.  The highlight of my trip had to have been trying my first lobster roll at the Snack Stand and wave jumping with friends.  Being together with nine girls for any extended period of time is always tricky.  There were definitely some dramatic moments (not being able to get a cab back to the hotel for 2 hours after a night out, mini meltdowns, etc.) but overall everything worked out for the best.









No comments:

Post a Comment