Sunday, July 25, 2010

Just Another Brooklyn Sunday

Most summer weekends mean running off to Long Beach.  But every so often I find myself with no plans.  Today was the perfect day to explore Brooklyn.

When I was away for a month, I started making a summer list of things I still wanted to do.  The Brooklyn Flea was on it- for no other reason except I had heard about it so much last year.  Because of the still sweltering temps, I opted for the indoor Sunday version at the Williamsburg Savings Bank.

I have to say, the architecture was pretty incredible and not what I was expecting for a Sunday morning.  I met a friend there around 11 am, which seemed a bit early as a lot of the vendors were still setting up.  So after browsing the usual: antiques, vintage clothing, artisan crafts, and jewelry stands, we decided to eat.  I settled for a chicken tamale and half a pupusa- which I would say is a much better deal than the gourmet food vendors there (my friend ended up with a semi-sandwich from the Milk Truck for double the price of my tamale).  Next time, I'd like to try Asia Dog's Banh Mi.  To finish off lunch, we decided to grab some fancy popsicles (raspberry basil and peach blueberry) from People's Pops- they were good but proved challenging the second we stepped outside.
After a quick trip into the city and a nap I still had a good chunk of today left.  I walked down by the waterfront to the East River Park just missing the outdoor concert Pool Parties.  The light was still good, so I was able to snap a couple nice long shadow shots on the grass.  After sitting by the water for a good bit, I took a walk around Williamsburg- down by the water, up South 2nd Street, and saw this meserizing flock of birds circling so that their wings reflected gold every time they angled towards the sun.
It's catching these little moments that no one seems to notice that makes a good end to a quiet weekend.

1 comment: